Friday, February 13, 2009

Simplicity



There is a lot of talk about simplicity these day's. My group of friend is no different. Last night we attempted to understand simplicity and came up with our own take. Here is some of what I remember from the conversation.

What are our values?:
The question behind simplicity is in someways a question of what are your values. What do you want your life to reflect. For example, if you value the environment living a simple life might look like buying less, or growing your own food. It is also helpful distill your values to a select few that are import to you. Meaning, the more values you try to reflect the more likely you will not be able to do any of them well, or that they may contradict each other. For example if you value spending less money and buying organic healthy food, you will have to deal with the fact that you'll be paying a premium for organic food.


Limiting Options:
In America we have way to many options. If you go to the supermarket you will find 20 different types of canned peas. Do we really need that many choices? Could limiting our choices actually make our lives simple. Could limiting our choices allow is to have a deeper experience with the fewer choices we have. Take friendships for example. Although it might seam harsh to say I am limiting my friendships to a few select people, it would allow you to intentionally deepen those relationships. Fewer choices could mean a simpler and more connected life.

Geography:
At one time in my life (early to mid 20's) I was all over the Boston. Lived in one part of the city, worked in another, and on any given night I would be somewhere else meeting friend or at an event. This adds a lot of travel time and general complexity to my life. Recently I have move to East Boston with a few friends. Now I only really need to leave my neighborhood to go to work. My social and spiritural circle of friends all live within a few block radius of my apartment. This is a part of simplicity that I think comes with age. When you are younger you feel as though you don't want to miss out on anything, but as you get older you don't mind missing the latest movie opening to stay in and finish a good book.

Photo credit TheAlieness GiselaGiardino's (click)

No comments: