Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Eastie Gras

Tonight our community celebrated it's first Mardi Gras, Jesus style. No beads. No boobs. Just good conversation. (I know, it's not as much fun but it's more meaningful) We ate pancakes with all the trimmings; brown sugar apples, chocolate chips, and whip cream, while discussing how we as a community could participate in Lent.

By the end of the night we stumbled on the following idea. Spending the time of Lent to reflect on our core values as a community. Finding what aspects of Jesus we most want to reflect in our neighborhood. We also want to document the brokenness we see in our neighborhood. Our hope is to find a synergy between our values and the brokenness we see in our neighborhood and to come away with an action.

As for myself. I have decided that I want to be more creative and be less depressed about the possibility of loosing my job. So I am going on a media fast (News and TV) and start some creative projects. I am going to try and write a short story that has been in my mind for a while and be more intentional about getting out of the house to shoot some photographs.

For the first time in many years I am actually excited about Lent and what can come out of the experience.

No comments: