Monday, January 7, 2008

Life in Dorchester

Sense moving to Dorchester two years ago I have been able to see a side of the city that most don't. Many nights I hear sirens in the neighborhood. The other night a helicopter circled my neighborhood for half an hour. The crime and violence here is palpable.
You don't have to live in Dorchester to know this. The news paper and the news on TV keep up us up to date with the homicides in the city. This year 51 people dies from gun shots in the City of Boston, just three shy from last year, the highest in a decade. (Click here for a map of the homicides in Boston)

One statistic that doesn't get talked about or reported is the number of non-fatal shootings. This year there were 273 shootings in Boston. (Click for statistics)


I know one of the people who was shot this year. A teenage boy who was shot in the face after having an argument with another boy at school. There could have been 324 people killed by guns in the city this year. What can we do to stop the spreading of guns and violence in our city.

4 comments:

Lyss said...

What keeps you in that area of Dorchester? Money being no object, where would you want to live?

Fousty said...

That's a good question. I moved to Dorchester two years ago with some friends. We are all followers of Jesus. As I read the stories about Jesus he seams pretty passionate about the loving the poor. So my friends and I decided to move to Dorchester so we to could love the poor like Jesus.

To be honest I after two years I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Boston. I have lived in Back Bay, East Boston, Somerville, East Cambridge, North Cambridge, and Brookline. (I moved around a lot) I have actually found it easer to get to know my neighbors and form relationships with them in Dorchester than in any other place that I have lived in Boston.

To me Jesus promotes a life that is connected to the poor, being in relationship with them and loving them. In a strange way I think he says that if you do this you will experience a fuller life. In moving to Dorchester I have found that to be true.

Anonymous said...

Not to be flip, but your graphic shows 50 fewer non-fatal shooting sin Boston in 2007.

Fousty said...

Thanks for being flip, I have corrected the post.