Thursday, August 30, 2007

The unspoken consequences of urban churches

There is an unspoken consequence of urban churches that is not talked about and I came face to face to it today. Recently in Boston there have been a number of incidences where small or not so small urban churches, mainly in Dorchester, have been causing problems. Mostly building code violations, and noise and parking complaints. These problems crop up when church plants try to make a house into a church (building code violations), or when a large existing church moves into a new neighborhood (noise and parking problems).

This dynamic was discusses at a Boston City Council meeting this afternoon that I attended. At first I was going to just watch but I decided to speak up when I discovered that there was no one there to speak on the religious communities behalf.

There were four people from the public their to testify. The other three gave vary discouraging testimony. To be honest I was kind of ashamed to be their after hearing them talk about how churches in their neighborhood had been negatively impacting them. One man, through a series of events, may actually have to sell his house because he can't keep tenets due to the actions of a local church.

My comments were basically as follows:
  • I'm saddened and discouraged to hear about the experiences people have had with these local churches.
  • Most Churches want to impact there neighborhood for the better and they can be a catalyst for change in neighborhoods like Dorchester.
  • There is a lack of understanding from Church's as to building codes requirements and city regulations.
  • I suggested that the Building Inspections Department and the Boston Redevelopment Authority work with the Emmanuel Gospel center to help reach out to churches to help them better understand their impact on neighborhoods.
In the end I do not know if I should have spoken up or not. I'm afraid that I might have sounded like I was justifying the obviously bad, and sometimes down right mean behavior that these churches have exhibited. This is one of the reasons that I left my church. We sometimes forget to think about the neighborhoods that we are in. We get caught up in getting more people in the seats that we forget how that might effect our neighbors. We let our services go a little longer because the worship is good, or the spirit is present, not thinking that it might be to late to be playing amplified music.
It can be very easy to forget to love your neighbor, while you are busy loving God.

2 comments:

e. donovan said...

I think you did the right thing; doesn't sound to me like you were excusing what people did.

I like the idea of house churches, but they do become problematic if they get too big. I think, in fact, most of the problems churches cause in their communities are related to size. Perhaps churches should determine what is a healthy size for the community in which they are, and if they start to get bigger than that, start a church plant somewhere else. That would be the best model for growth, in my opinion.

Unknown said...

Brian. Re: Unspoken consequences of urban churches: I saw an article in Dig magazine a few weeks ago relative to concerns of the Boston City Council and became concerned. I work with the Greater Boston Church Planting Collaborative (go to www.egc.org the Emmanuel Gospel Center in Boston to learn a bit about it). What action if any did the Council take at the meeting you attended? Are further discussions in the offing, do you know? Do you know who, if anyone, is relating to the Council and to the allegedly offending churches? I am writing you from New Zealand where I am on holiday. I plan to return to Boston Sept. 10, and want to do whatever I can do to help resolve this problem in a way that does well by the City and by the thoughtful church planting community.

Ralph Kee