Friday, August 24, 2007

Jim and Casper go to Church: Book Review

Have you ever sat in a church service and thought "That opening song was good I give it a 6", or "Man, that sermon was bad I give it a 2, what was he talking about." If so I would highly suggest picking up Jim and Casper go to Church. In this book Pastor Jim Henderson, no not the Muppet guy, and Matt Casper, the friendly atheist, visit 12 church around the country, from traditional to post-modern to house church's to "critique" the church experience. They have even go as far as to extend this idea on a website called Church Rater.

The strength of this book lies in Casper's frank openness and his understanding of Jesus. I would go so far as to say that Christians could learn a lot from Casper, he understands Jesus mission and the disconnect of Sunday mornings from it. Jim plays a key role too in that he doesn't try to defend what Casper is seeing. He doesn't apologize for that is done in the name of Jesus, in fact many time he agrees with Casper.

1 comment:

Matt Casper said...

Thanks for reading writing about our book!

Your take is very generous, too. There are more than a few folks whose reaction is, "What could we possibly learn from an atheist?"

And I often say, "Hey, it's not my opinions as 'an avowed atheist' that matter, because my opinions on the church aren't really mine."

I wrote a little something about it here: http://www.churchrater.com/blog/2007/07/25/why-i-have-no-opinions-about-church/

Thanks again for reading and writing,
Matt Casper