Sunday, August 12, 2007

Summer Planting

Yesterday we had the final summer planting in the park near my house. We planted a cherry tree and a Japaneses maple, and a butterfly garden. (Sorry no pictures at this time) In total 14 people from the neighborhood showed up. We more than doubled our numbers from last year! Unfortunately, just like last year the group was mostly white. Try as we might we just can't seam to break down the race barrier.

I did notice something while I walked my dog this afternoon in the park. There were lots of African American neighbors enjoying the park, at the basket ball court, playing with their children in the playground, or just setting talking on the benches. (I even saw a policeman playing basketball with some kids!) It makes me wonder if a project based approch is the right idea. Perhaps a more layed back social approch would work better.

Although, it might be harder to white neighbors to come out of their houses to mingle with their African American Neighbors.

No comments: