Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Youth Violence


"Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." Mark 9:36-38

With the spike in youth violence that has happened in the past two years in Boston, many have stormed City Hall asking for more Police, and chastise parents for not keeping control of there children. But according to Harvard's Youth Violence Prevention Center, one on one, or small group interaction, with youth 6 to 8 can have a dramatic effect on curbing youth violence.

Perhaps instead of looking to the city to clean up our streets, we should look at ourselves and find a child to invest in.

NPR interview with Dr. Deborah Prothrow-Stith, director of programs at Harvard's Youth Violence Prevention Center


For a theory on how the spike in violence in the early 1990's was stopped you should check out the book Freakonomics. I won't spoil the book for you.

No comments: