Saturday, February 25, 2012

Work and Identity

It's never good when your wife tells you from across the table, "So now you know how I have felt for the past several months.".........

Sense moving to San Francisco my life has been different, in more ways than just 60 degree weather in February and a lot more mexican food. After working 13 years at a salary position where I worked a consistent 40 hours a week with a steady paycheck, I am now working contract. Which among other things means that my hours can vary wildly and my income can too. My wife, who works as a flight attendant has to commute back to Boston for work, so she has been forced reduced her work hours as well.  

This has caused me to question my identity a bit. If I'm not working 40 hours a week, maximizing my income potential, what am I doing with my life?  I have always said that my work didn't define me, but when faced with not working I find this space that want's to be filled. A part of me that needs to be defined. 

I really shouldn't be surprised by what I am feeling. American's are known for working to hard and taking little time off as compared to our European counterparts. The only people in America that aren't working full time are kids, the elderly, the disabled and the uber rich. I don't fit into any of those categories so it's no wonder that I feel out of place when I'm sitting at a table sipping a cocktail with my wife on a weekday afternoon instead of working at my desk.


No comments: