Friday, January 2, 2009

Starting off the new year

I have been listening to Democracy Now for the past couple of months. This year they have started off with two phenomenal shows. One on Utah Phillips, the orginizer, singer songwriter, storyteller, and general anarchist. And and the other show is a talk by Howard Zinn, historian teacher and writer.

As I listened to these two stories, it makes me think about the type of person I would like to become. Both men speak their mind and stand for justice. Followers of Jesus, in the US, tend to be meek. As if Jesus wanted us to become nice people. Sure we are to love our neighbors, but were also called to stand up for justice. This should, on occasion, put us at odds with those in power in our society.

I recommend giving these two stories a listen and be inspired to cause a little trouble. (Click)

No comments: