Sunday, March 16, 2008

Budgets

Last week I posted about my finances and how I am trying to get them in order. (click) In the past week I have had a good conversation with a friend about it and taken some time to analyze my budget.

My friend reminded me about the latte factor in most budgets. (The ideal that the little things add up) I think that dining out may be that for me. Also he reassured me that saving for a house is a good use of money and can be justified.

Even after this conversation I was still a little unsettled about the disparity between trying to live with a simple lifestyle, and the amount of money that feel I seam to "need" in order to live. This weekend I have obsessed over every nickel and dime, categorizing and analyzing everything I can think of and came up with the following. (click)

I found out a few things:
  • Tax's suck! I have always been of the mindset that if you make more money you should pay more tax's. But now that I'm 30 I have realized that as your income increases if you don't have children or a mortgage to claim as deductions, you kind of get screwed on your income tax. I end up paying a small fortune in tax's this year because I don't have these two deductions.
  • I am saving a lot. There is the obvious savings each month for the down payment on a house but I also have deposits into my 401K that are automatically taken out of my paycheck. This adds up at the end of the year. Originally I wasn't taking this into account because I was only dealing with my take home pay not my gross pay.
  • I actually am living simply. By organizing my budget in they way I did it was easy to see what my actually base living expenses were. (separated from my tax's, and aggressive savings) I also added a "Decadent Luxury" column for things like travel, pet expenses, and dining out. After all I didn't take a vow of poverty I'm just trying to live simply.
After looking at this I have some difficult decisions to make. In the end, I don't feel that I can't cap my income a level I would like too. That being said I'll do my best to keep the decedent luxury's to a minimum. (Currently they add up to a little over 9% of my gross income.)
I also was planning on building a cabin this summer. Although I have put a lot of thought into the design and construction of the cabin I really haven't thought about how to pay for it. On top of that It doesn't make financial sense (or justice sense) to be building a vacation cabin when I don't have my first home. I'll start budgeting a small amount each month towards the cabin and in a few years after I am settled in my first home I can resurrect the cabin idea.

2 comments:

Ariah said...

I like the spreadsheet.

My wife and I have 'Fun Money' sort of your luxury money, sometimes it's considered 'sanity' money because trying to live simply from previously living 'large' can drive some people batty if they don't have a little money to spend recklessly to keep them sane

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.