Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Oh yea it's time for Lent

Being from central PA I didn't know about Lent until I moved to Boston. (I didn't realize it at the time but there sure are a lot of Baptist's in Central Pa.) In my first year at Boston I had the "hey you have something black on your forehead" conversation and I was introduced to Ash Wednesday, Lent and a little group of people know as Catholics.

Sense then I have occasionally participated in Lent. This year I think I'll give it another try. I have decided to give up internet at home. I have recently realized that I spend a lot of time online at home, mostly wasting time watching videos. This is time that I could spend doing more productive things and connecting with God.

So here are the parameters. No internet at home. I can use the internet while at work (not that I should be but I will admit that I do) I will only use the internet at home to post to the blog or look up necessary information i.e. map or phone number. Lent usually involves some aspect of dispensation, so I'll let myself use the internet for a little bit on Sunday's.

So what do I hope to get out of lent this year? Having decided not to go the traditional Sunday morning church route, I hope that by participating in Lent I can feel a little more connected to "The Church" as a whole. I hope that by freeing up my nights and weekends I can get more bible reading in and more socializing with friends and neighbors.

No comments: