Saturday, October 27, 2007

Hooked on phonics won't work for me.

This week I found out that I am dyslexic. I have always thought that I might be but was never tested. Sense I have been taking the Architects registration exam recently I thought it might be a good idea to get tested.

I figured out fairly early in school that if I payed attention in class and took good notes I wouldn't have to study outside of class. I coasted through school with a B average, rarely opening a text book. Apparently there are a lot of people like me. I was not the smartest kid in school, and I wasn't the dumbest either, so I didn't get much attention from teachers, thus my dyslexia went unnoticed.

Unfortunately for me there really isn't much that you can do for dyslexia as an adult. Your brain is already hard wired. If I was a kid there are lots of different programs, remember hooked on phonics. The best I can do is learn a little more about dyslexia and how it effects my ability to process information.

1 comment:

RuralLegend said...

What an interesting thing to learn at this stage in your life! Rob, the pastor of the Hopkinton Vineyard, got healed of dyslexia a few years back. You could always get him to pray for you!
Blessings either way :)
-Brent