Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Am I a Liberal or Fundamentalist



As I think about myself and my beliefs I find it harder to categorize myself.



I have been thinking more and more about social justice. About how unjust this world can be. About how my actions effect the environment. About how I can help change the things I see in this world. Does this make me a Liberal?

On the other hand as I read the bible, I find myself taking it more and more literally, to actually do the things that I am reading about. Did Jesus really say that we should not worry about how what we will ware and how to feed ourselves? Did he really mean it when he said that with faith we will do even greater things than what he did? Does this make me a Fundamentalist?

Maybe following Jesus transcends our labels of Liberal and Fundamentalist.

3 comments:

Sacchiel said...

Liberally fundamental or fundamentally liberal. :)

funke said...

The thing is that a lot of Fundamentalism only takes *some* of the Bible literally--there's plenty in the bible about being good stewards, righting social injustice, etc.

Anonymous said...

http://www.godonthe.net/evidence/is_true.htm

some things are meant to guide us and should not be taken literal. Especially stories that weren't written down until about 60 years after the death of Jesus.

Did you ever play that game in school where you stand in a line and the first person starts by whispering something in the next person's ear and so on down the line until the end when the message isn't what it started out as?