Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Power of Trees

Sense moving to my neighborhood two years ago, I have been trying to love my neighbors in several ways. One way has been to organize tree plantings in the park at the end of my street. Gathering neighbors, to labor together and to make our park safer and beautiful.

This afternoon we had a kick off meeting in the park. We brought out 5 pizzas, soda and chips. Twenty-eight neighbors laughed and talked together about trees, the park, and our experience of life in the neighborhood. If the rest of the summer go's as well, we'll not only plant a couple of trees but make a few new friends as well.

On one hand I am excited, for a neighborhood in the process of gentrification, events like this provide a great way to bridge relational and racial gaps. On the other hand, as a follower of Jesus, where do I find Jesus in this? I know he is in me and in my good intentions for my neighborhood, but how do I get to the place where I can see him working in peoples lives?

I not only want to plant trees and make friends, but want to bring Gods transforming kingdom into my neighborhood.

**Note: Picture from last years tree planting.**

No comments: