Sunday, November 9, 2008

Media PC part 1

Like most things in life it's a lot harder than it looks.



I have this desire to make a media center PC. I watch most of my media online anyway so it makes sense, right? I can hook a PC up to my television and watch videos just like I was watching a normal TV broadcast. I forgot to take into consideration that I actually know very little about computers.

I managed to get a free computer from work, it was gutted, meaning no hard drive or RAM. I have taken hard drives out of computers before so I though that would go relationally easily. I bought a hard drive but it was a newer technology. (Sata not IDE for any geeks out there.) And the RAM I bought was not compatible either. After a bit on online searching I find out that I really need, so I make my second trip to the computer store. It turns out that they don't have the RAM I need and they don't have any SATA to IDE converters.

So now I have bought the RAM and the converter online and have to wait until they are shipped to me. I also found out that connecting a PC to a TV is not the easiest thing to do. I haven't really figured that out yet. With any luck the software side will go smoother than the hardware side.

No comments: